Tourists: TheLastGoodMan et Shalom.
Location: City of Statues, Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria, Africa, Planet 🌍.
Statues to great men are made of the stones thrown at them in their lifetime – Jean Cocteau
A statue is a large 3-D work of art (sculpture) created by sculpting, carving, molding, or casting and is usually representing a person or an animal.
Lots of statues have been erected and are still being erected all over the world from the famous statue of Liberty in New York City, USA to the statue of Unity, India, just to name a few. Here in Nigeria, we have erected statues of different sizes, representation and symbolic significance in our cities, towns and villages from the tallest statue in Nigeria at 42ft, Queen Moremi statue of Liberty, Ile-Ife, Osun State to the Jesus de Greatest statue, in Abajah village in Imo State at 28ft.
A striking situation has been the recent collection of statues erected and still being erected by the Rochas Administration. This collection of statues I have termed “THE STATUES OF ROCH” numbering over 14 can be found mounted on their plinths at the Heroes Square (in between the Ikemba Ojukwu Convention Center and the Hall of Fame) in Concord Boulevard in Owerri; this collection has attracted applause, criticism, admirers, tourists and attention to Imo State. However, there are other statues erected in the state that have drawn the world’s attention to Imo State; like the aforementioned Jesus de Greatest statue that was erected under the sponsorship of Mr Obinna Onuoha, founder of Premier Petroleum Limited.
If I have done any honorable exploit, that is my monument; but if I have done none, all your statues will signify nothing – Agesilaus II
This collection of statues have been erected and still being erected to honour and celebrate some outstanding men and women of goodwill (dead and alive) who had/have excelled ambitiously and in their capacity as leaders, contributed tremendously to the advancement of humanity in Nigeria, Africa and the World at large and likewise been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
The Statues of Roch is currently made up of:
- Dr Akanu Ibiam (Outstanding medical missionary who was appointed Governor of Eastern Region, Nigeria under the First Republic 1960-1966.
- Chief Sam Mbakwe (First Civilian Governor of Imo State).
- Dim Chukwuemeka Odemegwu Ojukwu (Military Governor of the Eastern Region of Nigeria in 1966 and the leader of the breakaway Republic of Biafra from 1967 to 1970).
- Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe (First Nigerian President).
- Kwame Nkrumah (Former President of Ghana).
- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (Former President of Liberia).
- President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana.
- Jacob Zuma (Former President of South Africa).
- Sir Abubaka Tafewa Balewa (Former Prime Minister).
- Chief Olusegun Obasanjo (Former President of Nigeria).
- Dr Alex Ekwueme (Former Vice President).
- Martin Luther King (No tags though)
- Late Sage, Obafemi Awolowo
- Late Evans Enwerem (Former Senate President).
- President Buhari’s statue (Under construction). 🚧
Have you visited the city of statues (statues of Roch)?
Feel free to reach out to me if you need help in locating these statues.
Thank you so much for taking out time to read my posts. Stay tuned for more.
– With love from TheLastGoodMan!